Cumberland County Historical Society

About the Historical Society

Gibbon House
In 1905, at the same time plans were being made to erect a monument to commemorate the Tea Burning in Greenwich, the Cumberland County Historical Society was organized as a non-profit corporation. The first recorded meeting of the incorporators of the Cumberland County Historical Society was held in the old Cumberland County Court House on Broad Street in Bridgeton at 2 PM on December 2, 1908.

These Charter Members organized the Society in order to apply to the Board of Freeholders and the State Legislature for funds to erect a monument in Greenwich to the memory of the brave Patriots who burned the tea on December 22, 1774.

The Society Headquarters was then located on the top floor of the Cumberland County Court House.

Wood Mansion

In 1947, the Wood family of Philadelphia leased the Wood Mansion in Greenwich to the Society for its Headquarters.  Its artifacts and accumulated records were moved to Greenwich.

On June 19, 1969 the Society acquired the Gibbon House and its barn on Ye Greate Street.  Several years later a Swedish log farm building (circa 1650) was moved to this site.  Each year, the Annual Craft fair is held on the grounds of the Gibbon House.

A Maritime Museum has been established in the former Lecture Room which was built by the

congregation of the Greenwich Presbyterian Church in 1852 and presently displays artifacts relating to the waterways of the area.

The Tea Burners Monument

Following the purchase of the former Greenwich branch bank in 1993, the voluminous collection of genealogical material, rare books, deeds and maps previously displayed in the Pirate House were transferred to this commodious building which is now known as the Warren Lummis Genealogical & Research Library.

The Society also maintains surveillance of the Tea Burners Monument in Greenwich for the Board of Chosen Freeholders.  The Cumberland County Liberty Bell is exhibited by the Society in the Court House lobby.  The Society serves as  administrator for Potter's Tavern in Bridgeton and for the Old Stone Church in Fairfield.

The Society is very active in promoting knowledge concerning the history of Cumberland County and has much to offer its members.  The Officers and Trustees cordially invite you to join this outstanding organization.

Officers and Trustees

President | Linda S. Jones

Vice President | Joseph DeLuca

Secretary | Ruth Ann Fox

Treasurer | Judith Uber






© 2014 Cumberland County Historical Society. All rights reserved.

| Home |



Cumberland County Historical Society
PO Box 16, Greenwich, NJ 08323
856-455-8580






web design & hosting
JoyceMedia Web Design