CELEBRATE THE FOURTH OF JULY by visiting the historic Potter’s Tavern on Monday, July 4, 2016. You are invited to stop in and tour the Tavern between the hours of 1 to 4 p.m. It is located at 51 West Broad Street in Bridgeton (opposite the Cumberland County Court House) and is certified as a national landmark.
We are also very excited to announce that the Potter’s Tavern will be open every Sunday during the month of July (2016) between the hours of 1 to 4 p.m. We hope you will join us for a tour of this historical building while we explore one of the county’s oldest preserved landmarks. (July 10th, 17th, 24th, and 31st)read more..
click to see larger
Dates Announced for the 45th Annual Greenwich Artisans' Faire & Marketplace!
List of participants and activities will be posted soon.
Interested juried craftsmen call 856-455-8580 for information.
Coming this summer to a historical society near you...
The Cumberland County Historical Society (CCHS) has partnered with the Vineland Historical and Antiquarian Society (VHAS) to announce an exciting new summer event designed to enhance interest in our rich local history. Working with many of the historic organizations within Cumberland County, the two societies have created "A Race Through Time," which will be held from July 1 to August 28, 2016. Visitors who register at any of the participating sites will receive passports that must be stamped by at least six different organizations. At the end of August, participants will be able to submit those passports into a drawing for prizes that will include gift certificates to local restaurants and events. Extra points will be given for evidence that visitors stopped at any of the digital History Trail sites that were established in Cumberland County last year. Along the way, individual sites will offer participants small souvenirs of their visits.
Visitors will have the opportunity to stop everywhere from the Bayshore Center at Bivalve to the Millville Army Airfield Museum. Information about each site's hours of operation and a map will be provided to visitors who apply for passports. Participants will be encouraged to take photographs and post them on-line. If the event proves successful, the societies hope to make it an annual event. For further information, contact either the VHAS (VinelandHistory@gmail.com) or the CCHS (firstname.lastname@example.org). Follow us on Facebook and our blog on WordPress
The event s sponsored in-part by a grant from the Cumberland County Cultural and Heritage Commission.
So, are you ready? Then, on your mark, get set....
click to see larger
HISTORIC GIBBON HOUSE REOPENS FOR THE 2016 SEASON WITH A VINTAGE HAT EXHIBIT!
April 3, 2016
11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
The c. 1730 Gibbon House located on 960 Ye Greate Street in Greenwich, New Jersey will open its doors for public tours on Sunday, April 3rd from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Throughout the house, there will be a display of vintage hats from the Cumberland County Historical Society's collection. The exhibit includes baby hats, Quaker bonnets, and Victorian men's and women's hats. Some of the hats will be with the original hat boxes. This exhibit will be on view during regular museum hours from April 3rd through Memorial Day weekend. The Gibbon House will be open throughout the 2016 season on Tuesday through Sunday from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. Tours are free and open to the public.
The Cumberland County Historical Society Receives First Prize in the
Kevin M. Hale Publication Awards
The League of Historical Societies of New Jersey has announced that the Cumberland County Historical Society has won first prize in the Kevin M. Hale Publication Awards for their book Early Wood Architecture of Cumberland County, New Jersey by Joan Berkey. The award is being presented on June 11, 2016, during the League of Historical Societies of New Jersey's Spring Meeting at the Tewksbury Historical Society in Hunterdon County.
The LHSNJ is composed of nearly 250 local historical societies, museums, libraries, historic sites, cultural and heritage commissions, genealogical societies, and other history-related organizations. The Hale Awards were created to mark the achievements of member societies. The award categories include books, booklets, brochures, calendars, DVDs, journals, newsletters, pamphlets and posters.
The Cumberland County Historical Society received grants from the New Jersey Historical Commission: New Jersey Department of State that allowed the Society to hire noted architectural historian Joan Berkey to research and write the book over a four year period, and to publish the hardcover book in August 2015. Berkey spent countless hours examining 51 buildings, focusing on those erected before ca. 1750 and researching the history of heavy timber frame construction to place the buildings in context. The Cumberland County Historical Society is grateful for all of Joan’s efforts to make this amazing publication possible!!
New Book about Cumberland County’s Historic Architecture Available
The Cumberland County Historical Society is proud to announce that its newly-published book, Early Wood Architecture of Cumberland County, New Jersey, is now available for purchase. read more >
In 1905, at the same time plans were being made to erect a monument to commemorate the Tea Burning in Greenwich, the Cumberland County Historical Society was organized as a non-profit corporation. The first recorded meeting of the incorporators of the Cumberland County Historical Society was held in the old Cumberland County Court House on Broad Street in Bridgeton at 2 PM on December 2, 1908.
These Charter Members organized the Society in order to apply to the Board of Freeholders and the State Legislature for funds to erect a monument inGreenwich to the memory of the brave Patriots who burned the tea on December 22, 1774.